Friday, May 30, 2008

Better Beginnings

Back in the day.....life was much better for me. I come from a good family, where I was always provided for, and had the best. Even when I became an adult, I worked hard in almost everything that I did. I've been in and out of Corporate America for many years now. The gigs that I've had paid me out the wazooooo, and basically paid you for "just showing up". I've been used to having the best when it comes to apartments, condos, and homes. So you see, I have'nt always been homeless. It just goes to show that it can happen to anyone and anytime.

I was caught off guard the first time that it happened. I had failed to plan ahead, and it cost me dearly. I remember it well. My first corporate down-sizing! What is down-sizing, I said? I had never heard the terminology before. I learned very quickly, and boy was I in for a rude awakening.

I remember getting my "pink" slip. Wasn't even "pink". I felt cheated! (lol) At least give me what you say you're going to give me.....right? You're giving me a pink slip.....that's not even pink! (I can find the humor in this now.....even though at the time....it was devastating).

Being that it was my first time, as I said, I was not prepared. I was used to having thousands of dollars in the bank, travelling with friends, eating at the best establishments etc. I had a nice car at the time.....which basically saved my hide. Everything started to reverse on me with the job loss. No longer did I have the mega cash on hand, no more eating out....to expensive. The so-called friends....bailed out on me. Bills started to mount. My savings......wiped out. Zero. Zilch. Then came the fabled EVICTION NOTICE! Uggggh! I still have problems saying that word now. My nerves were shot. I was scared out of my gourd. I ended up selling or giving my furniture to neighbors and friends, and put whatever else I could in storage. I couldn't even afford a large enough storage area to house all of my vintage, and antique furniture. (That still pains me to this day. One of a kind items. Irreplaceable!)

Anyhow, to make a long story short, everything being dissolved from the home location, it was me and my car now. I remember finding a little gig thru a temp agency. Having a gym membership, I could still shower etc and clean up to go to work. I wanted to work. I wasn't used to not working. So I slept in my car, drove every morning to B_ _ _ _' _, worked out briefly at 5 and 6 am, just like now, and then went to work.

What made this time so difficult was that it was going into the winter month's. And at the time, I was in the mid-west. Midwest winters are "NO JOKE"! Temperatures in the teens, with a windchill factor added in! Whew! I remember putting blankets, and comforters in my car trunk. It was soooooo cold. I would drive around and find quiet, private spots where I would be undetected on the street. I wanted it to appear that my car was just a parked car, and no-one would be the wiser. Until those night at 2 a.m. when you have to go take a whiz in -10 below weather. ( Note to self: May you never again "piss into the wind"!) I remember having to start the car 'every 5-10 minutes. I counted by my watch, and it seemed that every 8 minutes, my fingers and toes would go numb. I couldn't risk any frost-bite damage to my hands especially, since I made my living with my hands etc......'typing, multi-tasking'. I had to learn a lot of little tricks to survive. It was harder in the mid-west than here in DC. There weren't all the "agencies" that there are here to help you out. So in order to eat somedays, I had to charge lunch on my gas cards, and store the food in my trunk. Only things that were non-perishable though. Also, it had to be something that could be eaten at the time, because in this weather, anything else would be frozen if left in the car. And I had no microwave or any way to warm it up.

Just a brief overview of my 'first time'. I would never wish it on anyone. But just goes to show that it can happen to anyone, no matter what status in life.

No comments: